Scalp micro pigmentation
Is it permanent?
– no, this is a semi permanent procedure.
– no. While Scalp MicroPigmenation (SMP) is semi permanent There is a different technique that utilizes different needles and a specialized ink. The result mimics a closely shaved head of hair.
– No, we are physicians who specialize in medical and surgical hair restoration. Our experience from treating thousands of patients over the years allows us to pull from a wide variety of hairline designs, suitable for either SMP or hair transplants, that match the person’s ethnic background, his balding pattern today and his age.
– No. SMP is unique in its application as we use specialized instruments, needles, and inks. A tattooist may be expert at what they do, creating wearable art, and their clients are proud to show off their tattoo, but a successful SMP application should be virtually undetectable deliver anesthesia to ensure a painless procedure.
– No. But SMP is performed by hair restoration surgeons and staff who are specially trained.
– Yes. We use sterile one-time-use only pre-packaged needles. Local anesthesia is administered only by licensed personnel in our medical facilities.
Does it hurt? – It feels like tiny needles poking constantly on your scalp for 3 to 4 hours. Without anesthesia it can be very painful, especially over the ears and forehead. But because we are physicians, you have the option to have local anesthesia administered, making the procedure pain free.
– Depending on your balding pattern this may be possible. Consultation between a prospective patient and an experienced hair restoration doctor before undergoing SMP is invaluable.
What if I am not bald but I want to make my hair look fuller using a concealer (Toppik and Dermmatch)?
– SMP is used to decrease the contrast between your scalp color and hair color, giving an illusion of fullness. You can think of SMP as a “permanent” cosmetic concealer such as Toppik or DermMatch. Unlike some concealers, with SMP you will not have to worry if your scalp is showing from the uneven application of concealers. Unlike some cosmetic concealers, SMP does not put a stain on your clothing, pillow, or on your significant other’s finger tips.
– Believe it or not, the stubble from white hair (and most colors of hair) is GRAY when you shave close to the skin. Just look at blond men with a close shave and you will see the gray shade where the hair exits the scalp. We try to match the shade of pigment based on your skin and hair color. If you have dark hair now and it turns gray later on in life, the underlying shade will blend despite the hair color change because SMP covers the entire scalp (not just the bald areas).
What if I continue to bald after doing the procedure, will it look natural?
– As we are physicians specializing in hair loss and its treatment, we can plan for a worst case balding situation to develop. Whatever is done, it must be designed to plan for the worst case balding scenario or the possibility that some day, you may decide to have a hair transplant or a stem cell transplant when that becomes available.
– The SMP process requires two to three treatments at least 7 days apart, to get the color shade just right. Each individual absorbs some pigment at different rates. Your finished SMP process should last years before needing a touch up, but everyone is different.
– You can always have a hair transplant on top of the SMP process. We have performed FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) in combination with SMP giving the patient the look of a shaven scalp and with actual hair stubbles.
– Yes. we have done test areas (about 1cm square area) in scars so that the person gets comfortable with the way it looks and we have done test areas where the balding scalp meets the side hair. This approach has been very helpful to the person who is ‘on the fence’ in deciding whether to do SMP or not. Remember, we want anybody considering this decision to be comfortable with the decision.
– Yes. Although, there is nothing in this world that is “perfect”, with the artistry and technique we use, you cannot tell that someone has had SMP even up close. SMP gives you the look of a permanent 5 o’clock shadow. SMP blends in with the genetically resistant to balding hair around the sides of your head. While photos on our site are great examples, you really need to see SMP in real life to be convinced. It is truly amazing.
Don’t tattoos or pigment dots just look like a big blob over time?
– Traditional tattoos may discolor but this is highly dependent on the type of ink used, the depth the pigment was placed into the scalp and the amount of sun exposure you get. The key to minimize this effect is to use a specialty ink like we do and either wear a hat when in the sun or use a good sun blocker (with a high SPF factor). SMP dots will lose its definition over time but unlike regular tattoos, the ‘blob’ look is greatly minimized due to the special technique and the instruments used.
– There is always a potential change in the color of pigment over time. The pigment used for SMP is chosen to match the color and tone of shaved hair underneath ones skin. Despite variation in hair color most patients have a grayish (and greenish) tint after the hair is shaved from the dark roots of the hair showing through the layers of the dermis and epidermis. Much like how blood vessels appear green under the skin, the increased absorption of the red spectrum of light gives rise to this phenomenon explained by the trichromatic theory of color vision (i.e. if you absorb red you will perceive green). The light propagation through human tissue has also been modeled to show the greater decrease of red spectrum remission. In short, there is NO TRUE perception of black when the pigment is deposited beneath the skin. The greater depth of pigment deposit, the greater the potential change in color perception.
I heard there are other techniques or colors that will not turn green or blue.
– See above. Or unless the laws of physics have changed, there will always be a slight change in perception of color.
– We are experts at creating natural looking hair lines. Most clients want a soft and natural fading front hair line, while others prefer a more distinct and linear look. I advise and work with my clients individually to obtain the look they want.
I saw this on other websites called something else, what makes you different?
– The difference between us and other businesses offering similar services is that we are a Board Certified physician with many years combined experience in the hair restoration business. We are a medical group offering SMP in a medical facility. We are experts in the creation of natural looking hairlines and can combine SMP.
What will I look like immediately after SMP is done?
– Immediately after the procedure, your scalp will look slightly pink, somewhat similar to a sunburn. This pink color will fade out over the course of 24 to 48 hours. This is more pronounced in patients with light skin color. You will appear to have a full head of hair that has a closely shaved look. The pigment may also appear more pronounced until you wash your scalp and remove the excess pigment three days later. Depending on each patient and the type of skin, the pigment may fade as it settles in. This is the reason why you may need more touch ups so that the shade and color is just right. Although we recommend at least 3 to 4 days between SMP applications, you can wait weeks or months depending on your schedule and geographic location.
I am a woman with thinning hair, can SMP help me appear to have thicker hair?
– Yes, we have performed SMP on women, but we are cautious when it comes to women because we want to know the cause of the hair loss or hair thinning. With men, 99% have hair loss or hair thinning from genetic causes in a typical balding pattern (MPB), but women may have balding due to many medical conditions and we would want to diagnose them prior to offering SMP. As ethical physicians, we want to be sure that we do not perform this process on women who have potentially reversible baldness from hormonal causes or thyroid or autoimmune diseases.
Day 1: Severity of erythema will depend on how aggressive the session was performed.
Day 2: A red or pink hue persists, similar to moderate sunburn. Swelling may be more noticeable on the second day.
Day 3: Skin can be pink or simply remain normal in color. Swelling subsides.
A. Wash the face thoroughly a few hours after Dermapen session. Gently massage the face with tepid water (a shower can provide an easier way to massage the face while washing at the same time), and remove all serum and other debris such as dried blood. This will improve the appearance of the skin and also allow for better subsequent absorption of any post-session topical. Mineral makeup may be applied the following day.
B. For the first 1-3 days, the skin will may feel dry and tight. Frequent use of a Dermapen approved, post-session topical will help alleviate this as well as the use of moisturizers.
C. After 2-3 days patients can return to regular skin care products or as soon as it is comfortable to do so. Vitamin A products are optimal and suggested.
D. Avoid alcohol based toners for 10-14 days.
E. Avoid direct sun exposure for at least 10 days if possible.
F. Do not apply chemical sunscreen the same day as the Dermapen session. Only Use Dermapen approved physical defense sunscreen.
CLEAN – Use a soothing cleanser or face wash with tepid water to cleanse the face for the following 48 hours and dry gently. Always make sure your hands are clean when touching the area that has been needled.
HEAL – Consult with your Dermapen practitioner for your personalized skincare regimen.
HYDRATE – Following your Dermapen session, the skin may feel drier than normal. Hyaluronic Acid is an ideal ingredient to hydrate and restore the skin back to perfect balance.
STIMULATE – In the days following your Dermapen session, as the skin starts to become rehabilitated, your Dermapen practitioner may offer a peptide based topical.
MAKEUP – It is recommended that makeup is not applied for 12 hours after the session, although your practitioner may be able to supply you with specialized mineral makeup that they feel would be suitable for use during this period. Do not apply any makeup with a makeup brush, especially if it is not clean.